Friday 6 June 2014

Home (for good hopefully!)

Saturday, 7/06
Hi all,
Had a reasonable night's sleep ( drugs certainly have their place!) and the drain had little in it so I was given the ok to come home. Thought I was going to have to be a bag lady carry the drain around for a week but thankfully the drain could come out, so no bag to drag!  A shower without accompanying attachments felt like luxury - interesting how the definition of luxury changes depending on your circumstances.
I have enjoyed having some time to do some reading which normally I have little time for. I've read the Herald each day, am in the middle of a John Grisham novel & I have re-read the booklet 'Sickness' by J.C. Ryle, a 19thC bishop -an oldie but a goodie. It is full of wisdom & wise counsel which I found myself saying "yes!" to with much more fervour than when I was read it while well. It is both an encouragement & a challenge. I can certainly recommend it. Another book which I read yesterday is one that has just been published called 'Hope beyond cure' by a friend of ours, David McDonald, a pastor in Canberra who at 49 was diagnosed with stage 4  lung cancer. We were all at Uni together & his wife Fiona studied medicine with me. In the face of hopelessness that such a diagnosis initially brings he found his beliefs being put to the test forcing him to investigate again the foundations of his faith and whether it stood up to scrutiny. It took him back to examining the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus & the implications of the truth of that. Only in the light of Jesus' resurrection can we have the certainty of hope beyond cure. It is an honest & moving story of Dave's journey to the present as he continues to battle the disease. I recommend getting 2 copies-one to read & one to give away!
Anyway the next thing for me is Wednesday when we get the next pathology results then Monday when we see the oncologist. Will post again after Wednesday.
Love Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment